As salon owners, managers, receptionists, suite renters, and stylists, our phones, laptops, and tablets are our best tool – apart from our skilled hands, of course. All of this technology keeps us connected and up to date with our clients. Since we’ve become attached to our technology it makes it that much harder when it fails on us for a few seconds, minutes, hours or, depending on the situation, days (did anyone else get goosebumps reading that or just me?)!
With respect to work, let’s think about how technology ties into our day to day functionality. The obvious one is checking in and checking out clients. To accomplish this and to read the important notes for each client per appointment, we need our Rosy software. How do we access our Rosy? Well, via our phones, tablets, and laptops.
Once clients are checked out, and we have left them feeling fantastic, the next step is to show off our spectacular work to our audience on social media, never forgetting our catchy captions and trendy hashtags. We do this to attract new clients, build our portfolios, and stay connected with our targeted clientele. Are you following us up until this point? You guessed it – it’s all accomplished via technology.
So how do we, as professionals, prepare and stay ahead for a day in which technology may need a moment to catch up to the demands of the entire world? Our response is plan now, panic…never.
Seven days a week and over 600 hours a month, our team works with beauty professionals. We have done our best at compiling some insight from all of you, our clients, into what it takes to run a business heavily concentrated around technology. With that said, here are some of our ideas that will help you put a backup plan into action for yourself, your business, your employees, and your clients in case technology is having one of THOSE DAYS. Whether it’s your device or the wi-fi acting up, here are our ideas to help you stay on track:
1. The pen is your pal: Jot down client notes or appointment request in a notebook. This way, when the wi-fi is back up, or your computer has stopped acting up, and you can quickly enter those in the system. Keep a notebook near the front desk for these purposes only. We know it’s old school, but it’s definitely effective!
2. Accessing client color formulas: You’re a master at this trade, don’t forget that! Show clients your confidence by reformulating on the go. You can also create a document with client formulas as you go and have this saved onto your desktop or even print it out for the front desk.
3. Mobile hotspots: Turn on the hotspot available on smartphones. This will come in handy the most if your in-house wi-fi is down. Connecting to the hotspot will allow you to be connected once again.
4. Communicate with employees: Make sure your employees are aware of the plans in place in case technology is out of service for a moment. This will help them keep calm and productive, and their positive attitude will impress your clients.
5. Communicate with clients: Keep a composed tone with clients. Let them know that you are prepared for something like this and that their experience will still be as seamless as possible because you are poised and equipped to handle anything.
These are just some of our ideas. Please share with us protocols you’ve put in place at your salon/spa for a day such as the one described. As always thank you for reading and we hope we help you and your business!